Sunday, April 26, 2009

Red Sox Sweep The Yankees; 35 Days Left

First off I'm changing the colour of this post (to Fenway green) 'cause the blog is coloured with red posts with the exception of Jen's post 'cause that's in pink of course. I second what she says and that is, don't pick your nose on transit, or any public place for that matter its just gross, and transit is weird enough. That is for another day however, today it's all about my favourite team in all of sports yes, the Boston Red Sox. I've been watching baseball ever since I was like 5 years old and the first game I ever watched was a Red Sox vs. Seattle Mariners game, my favourite player was Ken Griffey Jr. but my favourite team became the BoSox and there's no team I love more.

As I grew up and learned more about the game, while in grade 1, in the library I learned of the curse of the bambino from a baseball book in the nonfiction section, and became fascinated with the stories of the Babe Ruth fiasco and the curse and all and didn't really take it seriously until I read how long the BoSox had gone without winning a World Series. At the time the curse had already been in effect for 81 years!! This just made me root for the BoSox even more and the Yankees became my least favourite team for what they did to the BoSox, I mean they were so mean to put a curse on the BoSox like that.

Every year I cheered and hoped that this year would be the year we break the curse and finally after 9 years of heartbreak of watching the BoSox lose to the Yankees (seriously no kid should go through that it's worse than getting dumped) the BoSox pulled off the greatest comeback in sports history over the "Evil Empire" in 2004 and won it all and the curse was lifted and they did it all again in 2007. In the new millennium the BoSox have won 2 World Series to the Yankees' 1 back in 2000, and it seems the BoSox are the favourites to win every year now, though the Yankees continue to be the most vilified team in baseball ('cause they have more money than everyone else).

This year the BoSox and Yankees entered their first series of the season with the Yankees winning 51 0f 100 games against the BoSox since 2000. The first game was an intense affair with the Yankees leading most of the game 4-2 but a 2 run HR over the *Green Monster from Jason Bay (I still miss Manny :( in the 9th inning and the score was tied and the game went to extra innings; and in the 11th inning Yook (Kevin Youkilis) hit a walkoff HR over the Monster to win the game for the BoSox (I jumped up and down with delight, and let go a rendition of "Sweet Caroline" :). The 2nd game was a seesaw battle, and slugfest, that went back and forth and had so much drama I couldn't sit still. In short, the Yankees blew a 6-0 lead but then retook the lead and lost it again and then retook it but ultimately gave it up again as Mike Lowell who was having a dreadful game turned it around and scored 6 RBI's in the final few innings and the BoSox won 16-11. In the 3rd and final game the game it self wasn't as exciting on the whole as both teams were clearly fatigued. The score was 1-1 until the 5th inning in which David "Big Papi" Ortiz doubled in the go ahead run. That's when Jacoby Ellsbury saw an opening and trying to exploit it took off and ran like his life depended on it and stole home to put the BoSox up 3-1; J.D. Drew ground rule doubled to score Ortiz and made it 4-1 and that would end up being the final score but the play of the series was Ellsbury's steal of home something he hasn't done since high school. Just like that the BoSox were now on top and had 52 wins against the Yankees to the Yankees 51 wins against them.



Peace and Much Love To Ya :)

*Green Monster: is the nickname of the thirty-seven-foot, two-inch (11.3 m) left field wall at Fenway Park, home of the Boston Red Sox

2 comments:

jen. said...

wow wow wow curse? like a "you will never win" curse? and THANK YOU for agreeing with the golddiggingupthenose situation. It was just disgusting LOL

JabberWocky said...

Yea like a "you will never win" curse check out these links for more info on a couple curses in baseball lol: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_bambino and this one is still in effect: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_Billy_Goat

Yea I agree that was gross, when I read the title I thought of actual gold digging women or something, oh how I was misled :)