Thursday, February 19, 2009

Obama or the Queen?

Before I begin my post, I would like to extend a very warm welcome to our newest blogger, Mehpara Khan! I'm slightly upset that Middle Earth is not actually there but one can still dream. I'm looking forward to her coming posts and I'm sure you all are too! =)

But for now, you have to settle for my (quick) post about the greatest thing that has happened to Canada for awhile now...the arrival of President Barack Obama in our nation's capital! I've been excited for this event ever since it was announced and wished to attend, but alas, I did not receive an invitation from (my man) Stephen Harper. But no hard feelings! I'm glad that even though Obama was greeted with a very cold Ottawa day, there were plenty of people at Parliament Hill waiting to greet him him Canadian-style (overjoyed). Which brings me to my question: Are Canadians more excited about seeing Obama in Canada or the Queen in Canada? You tell me!

I don't have much to cover about the event because I managed to catch about half the presser and everything else was behind closed doors...but I'm sure everything was fine and dandy! I was extremely happy that Harper went on the Sit Room with Wolfie and did a great job answering Wolf's 'hard-hitting' questions. Of course, I wish Stephen did an interview with Anderson Cooper so I could see their pretty blue eyes in action, but once more, that's reserved for my dreams...

The presser wasn't very exciting but Obama made a cute remark at one of Canadian Press' journalists which she didn't have any reaction to because she was probably too nervous to know what's going on...but nonetheless, Canada got to see the smile that charmed all of America. I was also excited about seeing Chuck Todd in the press crowd! Chuck Todd was in Canada! He rocks my socks =)

Maybe I should wrap this up before things get too out of hand (for example: me typing out my dreams). The interview that Stephen did with Peter Mansbridge was very cute. You could tell he was very impressed by Obama and apparently they hit it off since they were talking about family and now call each other "Stephen and Barack" (oddly enough, that made me think sexydirty inappropriate thoughts).

One tip for the next time POTUS comes to town: bring RAHM EFFING EMANUEL, Tim Geithner, Peter Orszag, Robert Gibbs, David Axelrod, and maybe even VPOTUS along with you! I promise if you bring one, few, or all of them I will buy a damn ticket to Ottawa to hopefully catch a glimpse of that entourage. OR Stephen, you could bring me on your next trip to the White House. I'll be checking my email and waiting by the phone daily for this invitation.

Until next time, Ciao!

- Franny.

PS. If any of you guys happen to see PM Harper in the coming days and weeks, please give him my email and/or number and explain to him why he should contact me. Thank you!

2 comments:

JabberWocky said...

I'm definitely more excited to see Obama, the queen is a nice person, I'm sure, but she's boring. plus Obama is better looking and no one really likes people over 65 though there are exceptions i guess.

The presser seemed really relaxed right? it sucks that it was short but at least he came.

Mehpara Khan said...

I think if the Queen were as new and exciting as Obama it would be a tough toss up. But Obama's still fresh, the newest and only Afro-American President. What does the Queen really have that's freshly signature?

Mind you if either were to turn up in NZ it would be like the moon landing and the only thing in the news for several months... sigh... no one ever comes here...