Saturday, May 16, 2009

21st Century Breakdown; 15 Days Left


The title of this post is the title of Green Day's new album, and since I have to have everything first :P I copped one at HMV yesterday (first day of release!) as soon as I rolled out of bed (seriously, I still had bedhead). Why? you ask; because Green Day are one of my all time favorite bands and since I haven't heard anything new from them in 3 years!! I had to get it and also I kinda got tired of repeatedly listening to Dookie, Insomniac, and American Idiot although I still love those albums.

The expectation following American Idiot is immense, and it’s far from an overstatement to say that the pressure to deliver another solid album has never been greater for the band, many critics had written them off and many don't expect much from the new album. However, Green Day are back just as they left, better than ever. 21st Century Breakdown completes the band’s transformation from punk revivalists into unapologetic classic-rock icons.

21st Century Breakdown is divided into three acts, as a concept album each act loosely follows a young couple, Christian and Gloria. The first act, “Heroes and Cons,” immediately introduces reactionary lyrics of dissent against a government’s restrictive and oppressive policies in classic Green Day fashion.

The second act, “Charlatans and Saints,” opens with a track titled, “East Jesus of Nowhere,” a song that attacks religious fundamentalism, which Billie Joe Armstrong addresses as “the church of wishful thinking,” adding, “The sirens of decay will infiltrate the faith fanatics.” The following track, “Peacemaker,” continues the album’s violent themes, and the song stands as one of the best on the first half of the record.

The final act, “Horseshoes and Handgrenades,” kicks off with a song by the same name that quite possibly bears the closest resemblance to classic Green Day. The opens with the line, “I’m not fucking around,” before later commanding, “Don’t you fuck me around because I’ll shoot you down/I’m gonna drink, fight and fuck and pushing my luck all the time now.” The song comes heavy with the guitar as forceful as its lyrics, and gives the album a sense of urgency. The next set of songs retreat into lighter guitar riffs, but remain lyrically diligent, with “The Static Age” Green Day launch an attack at the senselessness of modern advertising: “Are what you own that you cannot buy?” the final act peaks with the track, “Mass Hysteria,” enhancing the themes of anger and desperation that fuel the final act: “I don’t want to live in the modern world.”

“See the Light,” the album’s last song, serves as the story’s final resolution. It recaps the emotional battles that the characters overcame, and offers one last plea for hope as 21st Century Breakdown fades out: “I just want to see the light, I don’t want to lose my sight/I just want to see the light, I need to know what’s worth the fight.”

If you’re able to put aside your preconceived notions about how a Green Day album should sound, you’re likely to hear something that is unique and creative, because this isn't old school Green Day and they've evolved into a different type of band while still remaining true to themselves. It’s not the most artistic album of the year, nor is it the most musically sound Green Day album but it is the most well balanced, creative piece of work that Green Day has ever released. Once again listeners will be saying to themselves "how can they ever top this?" Like always, Green Day has raised the bar for themselves.

Here's the first single off the album, "Know Your Enemy", Enjoy!! :)



Peace and Much Love To Ya :)

No comments: