Sunday, January 4, 2009

Tidbits.

Greetings to those of you who’ve made it to 2009! To those still in 2008, your train should be arriving shortly. In keeping to my resolution, I am blogging a short, but lovely, post composing of random pieces of news. I am actually working on an epic piece, but it’s taking longer than usual so I ask for you news whores to wait patiently. In the meantime, let’s begin this post of tidbits.

Governor Bill Richardson has resigned his nomination to be Obama’s Commerce Secretary because of a grand-jury investigation into New Mexico’s own “pay to play” scheme. I’m actually quite shocked because someone so huggable should not be dragged into these sorts of schemes. I think he jinxed himself by shaving off his beard. But now that the position is open and so close to Inauguration Day, who’s going to fill it? If the Obama team were smart, they would choose Mitt Romney. It would show bipartisanship and prevent the GOP from having a good nominee in 2012. I’m, of course, not 100% for that because I want a President Romney, but it’d be interesting for sure.

Speaking of President-elect Barack Obama…he has officially moved out of Chicago and into Washington DC today, awaiting Inauguration Day. When asked about his move, he replied, “I choked up a little bit leaving my house today.” AWHH!! A sensitive president! That was not sarcastic by the way. He’s moving so early because he wants his kids to start school with everyone else. Usually, incoming presidents stay in a part of the White House called the Blair House. But Bush said he has planned events up to 5 days prior to the Inauguration so the Obamas’ can’t stay there. Oh snap, rejected! It doesn’t matter; they’re staying at some super awesome hotel instead.

In Hollywood news, tragedy has struck a famous family. Jett Travolta, the 16 year old son of John Travolta and Kelly Preston, died during the family’s trip to the Bahamas. According to various news outlets, he had a seizure during a shower and hit his head. Multiple attempts to resuscitate him failed. I hope the media is respectful and will allow the Travolta family to grieve in peace.

In other political news (yes, I had to make it a political sandwich), funnyman Al Franken has officially won the senate seat in Minnesota after a grueling recount between him and incumbent Norm Coleman. Franken won by 225 votes. In other senate news yet, Roland Burris, the replacement for Obama’s Chicago senate seat chosen by scandal-ridden Gov. Rod Blagojevich, will attend Tuesday’s House acceptance thingy (that is the official name) even though Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has repeatedly said he will be blocked and prevented from taking the seat. I’m with Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell with this one. Just hold a special election! The reason Reid and other Democrats like Sen. Dick Durbin of Chicago are against this idea is because if there’s an election, there’s a chance a Republican can win. A Republican taking President-elect Barack Obama’s seat –are you kidding me?

That’s all from me for now. I will return in the next few days with the promised epic piece. I will hint that it’s a topic that I’m very passionate about but was reluctant to post about because of my bias. But this is a blog so I can post whatever position I feel should be taken. Stay tuned! Ciao!

- Franny.

No comments: