Thursday, January 28, 2010

RIP JD Salinger

Sad news today: author and long time recluse/hermit JD Salinger has passed away at the age of 91 in New Hampshire. Salinger has penned such masterpieces as "Catcher in the Rye" "Franny and Zooey" and "Nine Stories".

I spent the better part of the day trying to think of exactly what to write in what I hoped would be a mini-tribute to this life-changing author. It is apparent to me now that I have no words to describe the extent of which his writing has effected a great number of teens at some point in their lives. This is author whose book was banned from high schools because it was thought to be too provocative, but turned out to be an eye-opener for multiple generations. It is said that the man who shot John Lennon was inspired to do so after reading this novel. I, on the other hand, had no such motives but was changed in one way or another after a reading of this book. I've read it multiple times since and I still enjoy it just as much each time.

The novel that inspired my pen name, "Franny and Zooey" should be enough proof of how deeply Salinger's writings have been imprinted into my character. I often wish my future spouse's last name will just happen to be "Glass".

I know this tiny tiny tribute does no justice to the genius that is JD Salinger, but believe me when I tell you that he is much more than an author. Read his works and you will know what I mean.

From the bottom of my heart, I wish he rests in peace in a place much better than this one, where he may continue to influence all those around him and still stay out of the spotlight. And I hope he forgives me for being so cheesy as to quote from his own writings: "This is a perfect day for banana fish"

Forever in his debt (more than figuratively if I had to pay royalties for using the name),

- Franny.

No comments: